If your kitchen is looking tired and worn – or it simply can’t keep up with your modern needs – then you may be wondering how to bring it into the 21st century.
In this article, we’ll take a look at some telltale signs you might need a new kitchen, along with some fun and practical ways to update a kitchen to give it a new lease of life.
Signs you need a new kitchen
Unsure whether it’s time to update? Here are some surefire signs that it might be time to revive your kitchen with a modern touch:
- It just looks outdated or doesn’t suit your personal style
- You have no room for your appliances, or your appliances are not working for your current needs
- Storage space is tight
- The layout hinders rather than helps your everyday cooking and entertaining needs
- You’re spotting signs of mold, mildew, rotting, cracking or other signs of disrepair or age
- It doesn’t make you want to stay there for very long
So, by now you should have established whether you’ve fallen out of love with your kitchen. If so, here are some of the best ways to modernise and refresh this tired, old space.
How to update a kitchen
- Be appliance smart: It’s true – these days, there are appliances for everything to make cooking more convenient. But many older kitchens simply aren’t made for the sheer volume and variety of kitchen appliances. If you’re struggling to fit them all in, chances are you need a redesign to ensure all your appliances can have room to shine, and are in the most convenient places without being stuffed away in a cupboard through lack of space. Integrated, or built-in, appliances are a great way to incorporate modern appliances without them cluttering up your workspaces, allowing you to conceal them smartly, and therefore leaving more room to show off the pieces you’re most proud of. Bespoke kitchen companies, such as CKD, can work with you on this.
- Refresh your flooring: Under our feet and out of sight, it’s very easy to forget about flooring. However, the look and feel of a floor plays a big role in the overall appearance of our kitchens. A floor that’s dirty, cracked or mismatched with the overall style can really drag the whole room down. So by giving your floor a refresh, you can elevate the whole space. From dark, dramatic tiling to a warm, cosy wood effect, there’s something to suit everyone.
- Modernise cabinets and countertops: Cabinets and countertops are the bread and butter of any kitchen. If they are outdated, chipped, scratched or just not doing the job anymore, it’s time they had a refresh. These days, cabinets can be bespoke-crafted to your space to allow for a layout that is tailor-made for you – improving both the functionality and appearance. A wide choice of countertops awaits you too, with marble, quartz, wood and many other materials available to suit any style preference.
- Get it tailor-made for you: The simplest way to ensure your kitchen works for your needs and shows off your style is by having it custom-built. Companies such as CKD will hand-make a bespoke kitchen that works for your needs and wants, and all at an affordable cost. The tailored approach allows you to adapt to the shape of your room, and also incorporate any extras, such as integrated appliances, with total ease.
- A fresh lick of paint: If your budget is very tight then sometimes a lick of paint can be sufficient to brighten up a kitchen while you save up for a more thorough makeover. Whether you’re opting for bold colours or traditional creams and whites, a splash of paint can work wonders and inject new life into the space.
- Show off your style: Who said that a kitchen couldn’t enjoy decoration just like any other room in the home? Indeed, sometimes bringing a little personality into a kitchen can be enough to play down its age. Whether you’re experimenting with some funky furniture, calming plants or eye-catching artwork, you can have fun infusing some character into your kitchen.
- Go with an affordable company: One of the most off-putting parts of a kitchen renovation is the cost. Luckily, there are companies available to you who specialise in creating affordable, bespoke and hand-made kitchens that don’t cost the earth. Here at CKD, we create kitchens you can afford, making it easy to update your space without a hefty price tag.
Here at CKD (Classic Kitchens Direct) we craft bespoke, handmade kitchens at an affordable price. Thanks to our friendly, flexible service, we can design your kitchen using CAD technology before building the kitchen to your exact specifications. We serve customers across the UK, so to find out more, simply get in touch today.